Spotify is finally introducing one of its most-requested features to users globally: real-time lyrics. Spotify has for a long time, not offered lyrics on its platform like Apple Music. Previously, Spotify has offered a “Behind the Lyrics” feature for select songs powered by Genius, which shows both song lyrics and the backstory behind individual tracks. Since mid-2020, Spotify started showing full lyrics, but they were only available in select markets.
As of November 18, Lyrics are available to all Free and Premium users globally across iOS and Android devices, desktop, gaming consoles (available across Playstation 4, Playstation 5, and XBox One, along with Android TV, including FireTV, Samsung, Roku, LG, Sky, and Comcast) and TV. Users can see the lyrics scroll as they listen to a song and can also share selected lyrics on social platforms. Spotify have partnered with Musixmatch to bring song lyrics through in-app access, which says its catalog has “over 8 million” lyrics. Meanwhile, Spotify says it hosts more than 70 million songs. According to Musixmatch CEO Max Ciociola, the 70 million tracks on Spotify aren’t all unique — and he says his company provides lyrics for 98% of the Spotify catalog.
Here’s how to access the lyrics.
On the Spotify mobile app
- Tap on the “Now Playing View” on a song.
- While listening, swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
- You’ll see track lyrics that scroll in real time as the song is playing!
- To share, simply tap the “Share” button at the bottom of the lyrics screen and then select the lyrics you want to share—and where you want to share it—via third-party platforms.
On the Spotify desktop app
- From the “Now Playing” bar, click on the microphone icon while a song is playing.
- You’ll see track lyrics that scroll in real time while the song plays.
On the SpotifyTV app
- Open the “Now Playing View” on a song.
- Navigate to the right corner to the “lyrics button” and select if you want to enable Lyrics.
- Once enabled, you’ll see the lyrics in the “Now Playing” View.